Microsoft’s E3 Press Conference was an interesting one to watch. If you are following what’s been going on before E3 then you know that Microsoft may be feeling like it is competing with Nintendo’s Switch instead of Sony’s Playstation. And if you follow my twitter @EdwinMejiaS then you’d know what my thoughts are about the presentation.
So let’s jump in.
- First things first. XBOX ONE X. It will be $499 USD available November 7, 2017.
- Next the games. In total, they showed off 42 games and 22 of those 42 were exclusives.
- In order of reveal Forza Motorsport 7 felt like it wasn’t a good start. Racing games, I feel, have become very niche. Their photo realistic look and physics are only so enticing.
- Metro Exodus definitely looked beautiful but I’m unaware of the fan following as well as how many people it will bring over to Xbox.
- We got a first look at Assassin’s Creed Origins and it looked beautiful but again not something that will tear people away from Playstation.
- The first exclusive we saw that I think may be enough to pull people over to Xbox was Player Unknown’s Battleground. It has received a lot of acclaim in the PC world. For me, it genuinely looks like a lot of fun and I’d play it, but alas, I don’t have a PC.
- I’m going to hit these next points really quickly.
- 4K Minecraft. Look upgrade and more possibilities but come on, do better. They did announce cross platform play to allow players on any system play together. Owners of the game on Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo Switch will be able to connect and build online.
- Dragonball Fighter Z looks awesome especially with the 3v3 aspect of the game being advertised.
- Black Desert and The Last Night look aesthetically pleasing but may appeal to WILD’s other writer Chuy a lot more. Black Desert had an action RPG feel to its gameplay while The Last Night gave a pixelated Blade Runner feel.
- The Artful Escape of Francis Vendetti brings seasons, music and multi-dimensional artwork to a single place. “Coming when it’s damn ready”
- Cuphead definitely appeals to me as far as art style. It gives off an early 20th century animated look, such as Mickey Mouse or Betty Boop. The game involves a cup-shaped hero that looks like an instant classic.
- Crackdown 3 had Terry Crews present which brought a lot of attention but it’s a franchise I’m unfamiliar with.
- Anthem looks amazing as a combination of Bungie’s Halo and Destiny. But will it be enough especially with Destiny 2 announcement coming up? Also, the game is coming to Playstation 4, so owners of that system can still enjoy the intense multiplayer gameplay.
- Finally, Xbox original games will be coming. I guess it’s time for me to play Fusion Frenzy.
- It was at a weird time of day and it was just a fun and quirky way to present their upcoming titles.
- For me, nothing of note was really announced (for me).
- Doom VR. Skyrim for Nintendo Switch. Dishonored. Wolfenstein II. The Evil Within II. It is important to note that every game they announced is scheduled to release this year, 2017.
- Strong start with Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle and a guest appearance from Shigeru Miyamoto. This was the first look at the much rumored and highly leaked collaboration between Ubisoft and Nintendo.
- The Crew 2 and Transference were meh titles for me.
- Skull & Bones, Starlink: Battle of Atlas were the same.
- Far Cry 5 was nice to see especially since it is a franchise I’ve always been interested in.
- And although I never heard of Beyond Good & Evil 2, it looks like a game that must be played. This has been a long awaited title for many fans.